slide show
Image Map

Monday, October 18, 2010

Inspire Me Monday--North and South




The last two weeks or so I've had a lot of late nights.  I've been finishing up the last of my summer wedding workload, and starting into the fall family picture rush.  Not to mention I launched my design blog (which I procrastinated for a year, then got done in a week.  That's how I roll.) and had to maintain my personal life. To make my long hours during the night more bearable, I've gotten into the habit of streaming  Netflix while I work and edit.  I use 2 monitor screens on my PC, so I just use one to edit on, and the other I use for full-screen Netflix watching.

The biggest problem with this setup is that Netflix Streaming doesn't always have the best variety.  I've watched most everything that interests me.  But I still like to have something playing in the background, so I went to the suggestions page and found the suggestion for a BBC mini-series called North and South.  I had no idea what it was, but it said that since I liked Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre I would probably like this one.  So I went for it.

The first episode (there are four) I kind of half-watched.  It was set in 1800s England, during the Industrial age.  A country girl from Southern England is supplanted into a northern factory town.  It was just interesting enough and I paid just enough attention to click on the second episode.  And then the third.  By the time I got to the fourth--and final episode--I had abandoned all editing and was watching enraptured.

I don't know what else to tell you about it, just to go watch it for yourself.  And that if you also like British period dramas (a la Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte and the like) you absolutely can not miss out on North and South.

Plus it has the best resolution scene.  Hands down.  All four hours were worth it for the train station scene.  Enough said.  :)

Plus I don't know if there is any scene more evocative than the one with John Thornton walking silhouetted in the  white light of the cotton factory, with wisps of cotton flying all around him like snow.  I LOVE it. "I think I've seen Hell," writes Margaret. "And its white. It's snow white."
Gives me chills.

Here's a fake trailer:


And one of my favorite scenes: John Thornton staring through the swirling snow at Margaret's departing carriage saying "Look back. Look back at me." Be still my heart.

And there are many North and South montages set to music, but I think this one, set to Sia's "Breathe Me" feels the most true.

Move over Mr. Darcy. and you too, Mr. Rochester. My heart belongs to Mr. Thornton these days. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love this show. So much. I'm so glad someone else knows about it! Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

and..being the good Canadian that I am ... saw this what..10 years ago! I'd love to see it again.. I can't believe you watch movies while you edit...what a great idea!