slide show
Image Map

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Something to think about



I came across this video from another photographer.

It has some very, very good points.

For brides:  Know your photographer's work.  Ask for references if necessary.  Look at weddings they've done in similar lighting situations as yours.  Find out what equipment they use and their knowledge of it.  Only sign a contract that protects you both (bride and photographer).   But really the bottom line here is, if you are going to scrimp somewhere on your budget, don't make it the photographer.  I'd say 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for!!  Who cares if you had the fanciest reception center ever if in every shot it looks like the bat cave?  just sayin'. :)

For photographers:  know your equipment.  If you are using the basic kit lenses (which many of us start with! I did) know that they will not be functional without a flash in very low light situations.  Period.  Find a lens with a wide open aperture (prime lenses usually have the widest, even going to 1.2 for a fancy one) to have in case of situations like these.  Can't afford to buy one?  Rent one.  Be clear with your bride what kind of lighting there will be...if no flash photography is allowed, be prepared for it.

Don't do anything less than your best.  These are people's memories you are dealing with, memories of their most important day.  I know from my own personal experience what it is like to end up with a sub-par wedding photographer and no wedding pictures to show for it.  If you want to keep your business going, you have to make sure EVERY single bride is taken care of.  If they are unhappy about the results, do whatever is in your power to rectify it, within reason.  Protect yourself and your clients with a good contract.

Don't use the word "professional" lightly.  If you are just starting out in the business, don't be afraid to say so.  Don't undervalue yourself, of course...but recognize that there is much that time and experience will teach you.

Please don't print your proofs on those fast kiosks at wal-mart.  Ever.

Don't let your fear of this kind of situation hold you back.  If you love this job, really really love it, it will show in your work.  Passion has a way of making up for inexperience.  I should know. :)

For heavens sake, be dignified in your conduct. At. all. times. even when getting eviscerated by a tv judge.

And please, people.  Don't let yourself get dragged onto judge Joe Brown to be publicly humiliated and obliterate any chance you would have afterward to succeed in this business!



Okay.  I'm gonna get off my soapbox now! :)

3 comments:

Liz said...

Wish the lady that photographed (notice I didn't say photographer) my wedding had read this about 5 years ago. :( Another tip - if you take a group of pictures (especially if requested specifically from the bride) - say of just the groom - make sure there is at least one of those pictures in the finished set.

Crystal said...

I know what you mean!! My own photographer was good at taking a picture...but she was misleading with her prices and policies. I didn't end up with any pictures because she copyrighted everything, then charged an arm and a leg for the release. I didn't have the money at the time, so I had to wait until I did...but when I tried to contact her later, she never returned my emails or phone calls. Ergo, no wedding pictures...how sad when that is what I do for a living now!! So yep, be warned!!

Carolanne said...

Wow, that was infuriating to watch. The photographers were rude and unapologetic. They ruined the pictures of one of the most important days of that couple's life and they have the nerve to call the bride a liar to boot. Plus, they said it was only their second wedding. If that's the case than they shouldn't be charging professional prices. Makes me mad.